Lancashire Times
A Voice of the Free Press
Joseph Symes
Sports Correspondent
2:07 PM 21st August 2023

Match Report: Bolton 0-4 Wigan

Photo Credit:  (@OfficialWAFC) Twitter
Photo Credit: (@OfficialWAFC) Twitter
Out of nothing, a threatening, in-swinging corner by the visitors was met by Charlie Wyke in the area, and the Latics striker was able to place his header beyond the diving Nathan Baxter, handing Wigan the lead.

Bolton almost responded in the best way possible as they broke down the right from kick-off, and a low ball driven into the area was diverted goalwards by Victor Adeboyejo, but Sam Tickle sprung himself out to make a vital save.

The hosts were then punished for their lacklustre defence, allowing Wigan to net a second. Gethin Jones lost out to the ball as Callum Lang pinched the pockets of the Wanderers full-back, and Lang’s initial shot was denied by Baxter, but Stephen Humphrys responded by slotting home the rebound.

A reaction was paramount for Bolton, and they continued to venture for a pathway back into the game, coming closest just on the half-hour mark. A neat play down the right by Gethin Jones and Josh Dacres-Cogley saw the latter clean through, and his cross picked out Dan Nlundulu in the area, but Tickle wasn’t to be beaten in between the sticks on this occasion.

Nlundulu warmed Tickle's gloves again when he found a yard or two of space inside the penalty area; when he wriggled away from the defender, his eventual shot was scooped up by the Latics' shot-stopper.

Further half-efforts to Tickle’s abode came, but none looked like troubling the goalkeeper a great deal as the half petered out frustratingly for Bolton.

This left time for Wigan to break, which they did in deadly fashion, and after Lang was thwarted the first time, Stephen Humphrys made sure the second time around the ball was in the back of the net, meaning the Latics’ lead was three at the break.

HT: Bolton 0-3 Wigan

It was always going to be an uphill battle if Bolton were to get anything out of the game, but after a minute into the second half, Josh Dacres-Cogley almost lifted the Toughsheet Community Stadium.

The game settled into a steady pace, with both sides looking dangerous and attacking, but neither side could add a clinical touch.

With fifteen minutes remaining, a miserable afternoon turned sour for Bolton as Wigan inflicted a fourth goal. An outrushed Nathan Baxter left the clinical Charlie Wyke with the freedom of the ground to lob the ball over him, and although Baxter managed to get a connection on the ball, Wyke’s effort was too powerful as it drifted into the net.

A shell-shocked Bolton had no reply, Wigan looked for more, and Baxter had to powerfully beat away a cross by Baba Adeeko that looked destined for the net.

To sum up Bolton’s day, Jon Dadi Bodvarsson sent an effort forward, which was saved by Sam Tickle, and it cannoned off the advancing Cameron Jerome, who turned over from point blank range, and an effort deep into added time by Kyle Dempsey curled wide.

FT: Bolton 0-4 Wigan